Monday, April 2, 2012

How to Save on Gas

Petrol, that is, for those who speak Commonwealth English.  

Coinciding deals are the best ways to save money.  Kroger is running a special that quadruples your fuel points on gift card purchases.  100 fuel points will save you $0.10/gallon at Shell Gas Station.  If you spend $100 on gift cards, you get 400 fuel points.  So I decided to buy gift cards for Shell and take advantage of the quadruple fuel points.  The promotion lasts until April 7, at least in this area.


On top of that, my Chase Freedom credit card offers 5% cash back on rotating categories.  For the months of April, May and June, I get 5% cash back on grocery stores.  Combine that with the Kroger gift card purchases, not only do I get 5% cash back on my grocery store purchases, I get fuel points off.  With gas prices being so high, every little bit counts.

Maybe you have neither a Chase Freedom card nor Kroger or your neighborhood Kroger isn't running that promotion (it always has at least 2x fuel points on gift cards, at least at mine), but keep your eyes peeled for ways to game the system.  :P

In the meantime, keep your tired inflated & drive like you did on your driver's test.  Ha!

2 comments:

  1. I was talking to a Chinese student who said that if gas spikes inexplicably & he needs gas, he only gets about $10 and then waits to see if it goes back down before he fills up again (since I don't think he has any of these cards). But I like your system better, especially the Chase Freedom card... if gas is expensive, at least make it work for you :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I think about doing that too, and in a way that method is sort of like playing the stock market. It's really a gamble because sometimes gas it climbing and other times it's dropping. The problem is that lately, gas has been on an upward trend and also, I don't like going to the gas station that often. :P I like to play a game where I can see the number of days a tank of gas will last.

      Delete